Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm dreaming...

of California.

Of blue water, warm sand, and giant palm trees.

Of the time when I went to California when I was eight and we went to this place called La Hoya near San Diego and it was at sunset, and there were this amazing huge cliffs near the road looking over the ocean. There's a picture of me and Paige crouching on them--we were so little. Whenever I think of La Hoya, I think pink sunsets. It was magical, and I wish I could have appreciated it more.

I'm dreaming of running across a beach at sunset with the sun sinking beneath the waves and shedding light across the water. You know when the water washes up on the shore and makes the sand all slick? I love that.

I look out the window and I see a gray sky, a sprinkling of ice on the ground, a wet street, and the temperature is probably somewhere in the 30's.

Sigh.

Maybe the two above scenarios sound totally cliche, but that's the only way I know how to describe how much I miss the ocean and summer. Warmth. Sunshine. Water. Flipflops (or barefeet--even better!), tank tops, lying at the edge of the water and going all stiff and giggling when the cold water rushes up around me.



At least, if it has to be winter, it could grace us with some snow--preferably around six inches, which is what we got the day after Christmas. But it's just ice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To quote an awesome singer:
When I wiped the tears from my eyes
The warm water took me by surprise
And I woke up beside the ocean I realized:
I must be in California.

Aloha, my happy West Coast friends - do you feel alive
When the breaking waves arrive and rush all around you?
The beach homes in Oceanside are quite well-known by the evening tide
And we can sleep where we reside with redwoods around us.
The blue air is up there and could I bring it down,
I'd bottle it up and save it for a sweet summer night.


The song is called West Coast Friendship. I started reading your post and that popped immediately to mind!! I love the beach and the ocean. I'd rather have that then the peppermint winters I'm always "raving" about.

But in "response" to your comment. Thanks for leaving it, Caroline. As excited as I was about writing my climax yesterday, today was...full of disappointments personally. Life wasn't too sweet. But I'm glad I have actually inspired someone with my writing because that's what I've wanted. I wanted to give the point across the inspiration is around every corner if we just LOOK. That you can turn the most ordinary things into the extraordinary. ;)

LOL. If you ever wanted to learn to write a sci-fi, watch 7 seasons of Star Trek: Voyager (minus some bad episodes) and you'll be completely inspired. :)

Loves,
-Ara

Katelyn McKay said...

That was an awesome post Caroline, which I can SO relate too.
Even though it's been mostly sunny today, there's no snow, just ice, (which is no use, because yo could slip and break something)
I keep longing for spring to come, but I'm still stuck in this icky January weather. You're so right...if we have to live in Winter for so long, we could at least have some snow!

Oh, and your 'About me' is inspiring/amazing/incredible!
Haha, great job once again, girlie :)

Katelyn

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful post, Caroline! It made me wish it was summer:D
--Caroline S.

Golden Eagle said...

Now I'm wishing for summer, too . . . :)

Caroline said...

Ara--my goodness! That song describes my post better than I could! Adam Young is amazing.:) And you and your characters truly have inspired me. I've already told you this, but it's true. I'm literally dying to read your book!! :)

Katelyn--at the time I'm answering your comment, it's a much nicer day, and I can smell spring in the air!! I know, that's weird since it's January, but I've been infected with spring already. :)

Nimwen--ditto. (about wanting summer:D)

Eagle--Maybe if all of us wish hard enough, it will come faster...XD

Cassandra said...

I live in West Los Angeles, CA and it was in the 80s this morning and the day before that... It's January!!! This post isn't too far off the mark. *grins*

Usually, in the winter we average around 60 degrees... we never get snow.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I have never been to California! :D But it looks like fun!

 
This template designed and installed by Olive Tree @ Robin Blogs.