A while back, I had a poll up called "What's your favorite element of a story?" The answers varied: Characters, writing quality, setting, plot. Whatever you picked/would pick, my favorite will ever remain...
characters!
Characters make the book. Bad characters ruin the story for me. I mean, if they're not great, what's to keep me from putting down the book? (not much.) I am CONSTANTLY, and I will repeat, CONSTANTLY spouting my favorite character quotes. Bad plot? The characters can suffice. Bad setting? Bloom where you're planted. Bad writing quality? Well, there's really not much you can do about that. If the quality is bad, chances are the characters will be, too.
Heroes. What do you think of when you read that word? Some King Arthur type MC dressed in shining battle, swinging a sword? A naive peasant boy who discovers he's really the air to Such-and-Such and he's the only one who can save the kingdom from total annihalation? (sp?)
Heroes aren't what they used to be. Instead we're supposed to be content to settle with the perfect, sparkly, impossibly handsome guys like Edward Cullen (and for the record, he's really not cute). Whoa, perfect? Whoever said that was okay for a character? Don't get me started, as I feel very strongly on this subject. I have a post about it, "I tried to be perfect" here and another called "What Happened to the Heroes?" right here.
Nobody here on this earth can relate to a book character who's perfect. If the character is perfect at the beginning of the story, where will he be at the end? Oh, right. He'll be exactly where he started. Stagnant. Similiar to pond water in that he doesn't move, he can't make mistakes, and he can't learn.
Chivalrous? Oh no, we couldn't possibly have our hero be chivalrous. We couldn't possibly have him be a gentleman to the girls. That would be, like, weird. And it's out of the question that our heroines could actually be respectful and loving of the guys. The hero shouldn't save the girl; she can totally handle this on her own. She can spew disrespectful remarks in the face of the guy and he's supposed to just be cool with that.
Heroes aren't being chivlarous because heroines aren't being respectful.
He's more than just a plaything. The hero is more than someone to just toss when the heroine is finished with him. "Thanks, but I don't need your help. I got it covered." Can't we see some plain, old-fashioned decency on both ends of the spectrum? What happened to the Knights of the Round Table?
The waterworks. Right now I'm listening to Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns, and it's brought something to mind. Do our heroes always have to be rock-solid and emotionless? Would it be so bad for the heroes to shed some tears, too? Isn't that what's real? Or would that just be an insult to their honor?
Alright. I think I got it covered. If I left anything out, just tell me!
Next post--my favorite heroes. And then...heroines.
Oh, and by the way--I've started a book review blog! Go check out Today Was a Fairytale! I love my followers and I ADORE your comments!!!
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Totally agree with you on that.
I am following your book blog! I have thought about starting one myself but just haven't made up my mind. What made you start one?
Awesome post, Caroline!
Oh, and what is 30,000 words in 30 days? I was following it, but when it became private, I can;t get any updates. Is it just for people participating...?
Memzie--thanks for following me! I really appreciate it:). I'm not sure what made me start one...maybe as a place to dish about my favorite books that aren't Newbery winners:D. Cause I love books! *grin* I think you should start one! That would be awesome! (and i'd totally be following you:P)
Shaynie--I'll go answer your question on your blog:)
Great post! For me, a good plot can make up for bad characters, but I do think good characters make a bigger difference in whether a book is really good or just ok.
I got your comment, Caroline! Thanks so much for inviting me. I'm sooo terribly busy, but I *may* try to participate. :)
I'm writing a book about a girl in the aftermath of a nuclear power plant disater. But so far I've only written chapter 1.
But I'm also writing a book about a girl who's dad dies, and she has to go live with her estranged mother in Palestine, I have 4 chapters on that...
I'll have to think about which one I want to start. Thanks again so much for inviting me!
Oh, and I see you're reading "Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. whatever her last name is" :D Do you like it? I loved it!
Wow, look at all the comments I'm leaving. :D
I was able to accept the invitation and view the blog, but how exactly does it work? Do you post your book chapter by chapter? Or just excerpts? can you give me a little crash course? :D
(Sorry if I am being annoying...)
Hay!
This may seem random but I'm just looking to meet new people on Blogspot. I'm a young author and I've got a finished novel of mine as well as two finished that I've co-written. My goal is to become a best-selling author. Just a year ago, I've given my heart to God. I mean, I was raised under a Christian family but...you know...I never really KNEW God as I do now. Please don't find this creepy 'cuz I just want to meet new people and you seem very nice. And just for the record, I prefer Buffy the Vampire Slayer over Twilight. Just to help your decision in whether or not to comment back on my blog. :)
-Rachel
I'm a new follower of your blog and I just wanted to say that post was awesome. You know I have two blogs right? Well, go check-m-out.
-www.allysonarmstrong.blogspot.com
and
-www.pringlesawesomeblog.blogspot.com
Marian--thanks! I agree!
Rachel--LOL, thanks for commenting! I have the same get-published goal in mind that you do!
Pringle--thanks, I will!
Thanks for explaining everything, Caroline! :D
Oh oh oh oh CAROLINE! Your BLOG! I <3<3<3 it! {Do I sound like I'm gushing? :P}
Do you have a blog button? Then I could put it on my blog! :)
LOL thanks Guin!! It's all due to Olive Tree! (i could never have done this!) No, I don't have a button...I might have my sister make one so when I get it I will let you know!<3
That was awesome! I totally agree with you!
I love your blog, Caroline! Your posts and your look, AMAZING! Totally following. :)
Thanks Hayhay! All the credit for the design goes to Olive Tree:). And thanks for following--you're my 60th follower! Going to follow you now!;)
WOW! Girl after my own heart! Thanks for writing this.
~Margaret
LOL thanks Margaret! As you can tell, it's a subject I feel strongly on:)
wow! SOO neat! I love this! :) I think of heroes as people who are SO unlikely... people who don't fit in, are different, feel lost, and really *aren't* typical 'hero' material. People who are fearful but they face those fears because they're more afraid of losing what they love most :D thanks for sharing that! I loved it!! :D
Post a Comment