
OH YES! You may laugh about our name (as I did) but you can't laugh about our team! The Cornhuskers brought down the house tonight!!! In each game we started out several points behind but managed to pull ourselves together and "come back from the grave" as my coach put it. Do you ever have those times, if you play sports, when you just know that you're 'in it'? During practice tonight I felt I was diving for more things, getting under things, getting it to my setter (volleyball language: person in front middle and one of the most important players) and all of me just felt like I had....I can't explain it. Enthusiasm? Team spirit? I know the word I'm looking for...some nights I just feel like I'm playing but I'm not doing my best and playing hard and bringing a fight to the other team. But tonight, I had something--the will to fight, play, and win--which we did. And, it was the last game of the season. Way to end the season, right? To top it off, I was the last player to serve for my team, and I didn't miss my serve. The girl on the other side served next, missed it, and the rest is history.
What makes a sweet victory even sweeter is that my coach overheard the other team saying they were going to "kick our butts". Sure. We kicked theirs.
Ok, ok, I don't mean to sound braggy. I'll stop. But we're number three in the overall standings in the league (there are six teams in the league) and I think we'll be going to the tournament.
Oh, happy. :)
*does a little dance of joy*
*bows*
*runs off stage*
Well, as long as I'm here, I might talk a little more about this sport!
I started two years ago at a volleyball day-summer camp. It was fun, I got to do it with my friends, and it got me started on the basics (oh, and were they basic. I was terrible then.) In the fall, two sisters from my church, who played volleyball in college, put together a homeschool girls team and we practiced every Friday. Gosh, I loved that team:). I had an awesome time there and it really gave me a boost into volleyball. Sadly, even good things must come to an end. The next year I moved far, far away, and in the winter/early spring, I went once a month to a scrimmage at a local church. I could've joined the team there, but instead went with playing on the town's league. And boy, am I glad I did! I'm nearing the end of my second season and I can honestly say my two seasons with these teams have been amazing. I had the most fantastic coaches last spring (and a more intimidating name: the Yellow Jackets. We had awesome yellow jerseys) and great teammates.
But could it be that this season has been possibly more amazing? I have another coach that I absolutely love and there's so much team spirit between the girls. I feel loved on this team, and I love my teammates. I love when people cheer my name when I go up to serve. I love how my teammates come and give me highfives and consolation when my hit messes up. I love cheering on my teammates when they serve. And I love the intensity of the court when that ball is in the air, and you have no idea where it's going to land, but you hope that by goodness, it isn't your side.
My favorite position used to be setter, but I'm thinking to change that. I'm not built to be a setter (apparently 5 feet 8 inches is not the best height for that--setters are usually short) but my coach seems to see me as a hitter (also called spiker; spikers stand to the left or right of the setter and are the ones who jump and hit it with a flat hand) and I'm beginning to see myself as one, too. I have to work on my spike--a lot. I'm still scared of it; scared that it'll go into the net, that it'll go out on the other side of the court, that I'll miss the ball altogether. (which has happened, so I wouldn't put it past myself for me to do something like that during a game)
Oh, and my sister got some pictures of me tonight, so I shall upload those in the next post for your enjoyment:).
I think I'm done! Thanks for listening to me chatter on about my favorite sport. I'm really serious about playing in college (I'd like to get either a volleyball or a writing scholarship) and be a coach when I'm older. I get happy just thinking about volleyball.
Wow, I'm hopeless.

*does a little dance of joy*
*bows*
*runs off stage*
Well, as long as I'm here, I might talk a little more about this sport!
I started two years ago at a volleyball day-summer camp. It was fun, I got to do it with my friends, and it got me started on the basics (oh, and were they basic. I was terrible then.) In the fall, two sisters from my church, who played volleyball in college, put together a homeschool girls team and we practiced every Friday. Gosh, I loved that team:). I had an awesome time there and it really gave me a boost into volleyball. Sadly, even good things must come to an end. The next year I moved far, far away, and in the winter/early spring, I went once a month to a scrimmage at a local church. I could've joined the team there, but instead went with playing on the town's league. And boy, am I glad I did! I'm nearing the end of my second season and I can honestly say my two seasons with these teams have been amazing. I had the most fantastic coaches last spring (and a more intimidating name: the Yellow Jackets. We had awesome yellow jerseys) and great teammates.
But could it be that this season has been possibly more amazing? I have another coach that I absolutely love and there's so much team spirit between the girls. I feel loved on this team, and I love my teammates. I love when people cheer my name when I go up to serve. I love how my teammates come and give me highfives and consolation when my hit messes up. I love cheering on my teammates when they serve. And I love the intensity of the court when that ball is in the air, and you have no idea where it's going to land, but you hope that by goodness, it isn't your side.
My favorite position used to be setter, but I'm thinking to change that. I'm not built to be a setter (apparently 5 feet 8 inches is not the best height for that--setters are usually short) but my coach seems to see me as a hitter (also called spiker; spikers stand to the left or right of the setter and are the ones who jump and hit it with a flat hand) and I'm beginning to see myself as one, too. I have to work on my spike--a lot. I'm still scared of it; scared that it'll go into the net, that it'll go out on the other side of the court, that I'll miss the ball altogether. (which has happened, so I wouldn't put it past myself for me to do something like that during a game)
Oh, and my sister got some pictures of me tonight, so I shall upload those in the next post for your enjoyment:).
I think I'm done! Thanks for listening to me chatter on about my favorite sport. I'm really serious about playing in college (I'd like to get either a volleyball or a writing scholarship) and be a coach when I'm older. I get happy just thinking about volleyball.
Wow, I'm hopeless.

9 comments:
Congrats on winning!!!!
Congratulations! :D
That's so awesome that your team won, Caroline!! :D Congratulations! :)
My older sister used to be on a volleyball team, and sometimes I would play in the yard with her to help her practice. I was never really good at the sport, but I always had a good time spiking the ball back and forth in the yard with my sister. :) I was more of a gymnastics/dance/swimming type girl. Those were the sports I was active in.
Love,
Eldarwen
Hi Caroline,
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! In answer to your question...
I don't really know how to host photos on Photobucket or Flickr yet. I just made an account on Flickr yesterday, so I'm hoping to figure that out later. It can't be too difficult, right? ;)
Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!! :)
~ Love,
Lindsay
Does your team have anything to do with Nebraska by any chance? ;) I simply admire its name!
Thanks, everyone!
Margaret--no, not as far as I know...*grins* In fact it's kind of a strange name for since we live nowhere near Nebraska; I live on the East Coast. I actually used to live in the "Corn State"--Iowa. :D
Hi caroline this is Emily! I didn't know you liked volley ball!check out my blog!thenerveofverve.blospot.com
Congrats on winning! this is a fabulous achievement!
by the way,you have an awesome blog!
hugs
lila
I am your good luck person :D I should add that you are a major dork. Wow.
Post a Comment