Then, a few weeks ago, I pulled open the file for my one first love and first book, Enslaved, and began reading the prologue. I was only a few sentences in when I opened a new document and started writing. And ever since, Enslaved has been on my mind.
I've written/rewritten Enslaved 3 times, and each time it's gotten insanely different and has pulled so far away from my original vision for it. But that's alright, since the original vision was pretty bad. And I'm sure it's just the perfectionist in me that every writer has, but Enslaved is never finished. After I finish a draft I think, "Great, we're all done! Let's go search for literary agents!" but it's never like that. I leave it for a few months, I come back to it, and I realize, "Wow, this writing really stinks. What was I thinking?"
In The Labyrinth, while I've got a great plot and the perfect cast of already created characters that an author could only dream of, an amazing setting (ancient Greece), and a wonderful villain, there's something missing. I feel nothing towards these characters anymore. I used to. But now, they've fallen into the cliche "perfect hero, tough girl" category. They don't interest me at all. I feel no connection, no life, no emotion towards them. To be honest, they're boring.
In Enslaved, I've got a small bit of a plot (needs work), an undetermined setting (trying to decide if it should be the Middle Ages in our world or if it should be a fantasy world), but the characters...I've known these characters for over 3 years, and I feel them. Granted, they aren't exactly what I want them to be--yet. Will (MC) is still shadowy and undefined. Torene (secondary MC) is bordering on the stereotypical. Even so, I feel like there's something about Enslaved that always pulls me back as soon as I let myself be drawn in. (Wait, that sentence was redundant. Oh well. Maybe you can decipher it anyways.)
So, originally, I was going to ask you, "Which one do you think I should write?", but thinking about it and writing this post, it's become clear. I think I should choose Enslaved. Someday, perhaps, I might come back to The Labyrinth with the same vigor and excitement I had when I first thought of it. But right now, that doesn't feel right. What feels right is going with my characters...and sort of winging it. I know that sounds bad , but hey, what's life without mystery?:)
7 comments:
I think you made the right choice! Or should I say..."write" choice? Ha. ha. ha.
Go with what you feel. If you don't have the want to write something, or you don't a.b.s.o.l.u.t.l.y love it, trust me, IT. WILL. STINK.
Love what ya do, do what ya love. And glorify God through it all!
Do you ever post your story somewhere? or is it private to what is inside?
At the end of the day, you need to do what feels best for you.
The last thing you want is to get half way through NaNo and then decide that you hate your story and never make it to 50k.
Trust me, I loved my story when I started and then around November 20 or so, I remember despising my story intensely. I pushed past it, but it wasn't easy.
It might be hard for you to do Enslaved because you have a past with it. For NaNo, it's usually best to start fresh. Still, I think that you could do it.
I don't think that you could really go wrong either way, but if you are really passionate about Enslaved more so than the Labyrinth, then, by golly, that's the one that you should write!
I look forward to word-warring with you! *smiles*
Love and Blessings,
Cassie
Sounds just like any other writer I've ever known, and that's totally great. It's all part of being a writer. I agree with your choice and can't wait to see what you've done with it!
By the way, I tagged you at my blog: http://charmingelephant.blogspot.com
Hope you participate! Thanks!
Wow, Caroline, that's a surprise!!!!!!!
Ahh, I love NaNo posts. And I know what you mean! It took me a bit of time to settle on which book to write in November, (not that bad of a problem, I guess) and even now what I have, my characters are NOT my friends. That is bothering me, but I am weirdly okay with it too.
Alright, I am going to end this highly confusing comment and say:
ARGH! Why can't November be here yet?! I am dying with anticipation! XD
Y'all are so awesome <3
Ellyn--lol, nice pun!:)
The jotter--That's a good point! I can definitely see how it would make a difference. I don't post my story anywhere public, although I might post a short excerpt on here from time to time.:)
Sierra--Yes, I am hard on myself! I guess all writers are.:D
Cassie--You have so many good points!! And you're right, I don't want to be halfway and be totally sick of what I'm writing. It's a big decision...and despite this post, I'm not totally settled yet on what to do. Starting fresh sounds nice. Can't wait to word war, too!:)
Charming Elephant--(love your name, btw XD XD) thanks! I'm excited to see what I'll do with it, too...haha, I never know.:) Thanks for the tag! I'll do it soon!:D
Shaynie--yeah, isn't it?:) But...like I told Cassie, I'm still wavering in my decision. I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, cause I'd like to keep a secret until I'm sure;).
Margaret--I know, so do I!:) Don't you hate it when your characters won't cooperate?! And don't worry, I understand about not being friends with them:D.
Thank you all for your sweet comments!
Post a Comment