Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cup o' tea, how's your mum?

Have y'all seen that Geico ad? Where the Geico dude and the Gecko are drinking tea? No? Well, it's awesome. :) Now, I shall treat you to some excerpts from my life and things that I've been thinking about lately, so do enjoy =D (because all you want to hear about is me, right? It's all about me. NOT...I was kidding. Sarcasm.) :)

1. Flu. I don't have it, and I really, really, really hope I don't get it. But it's going around my church at the moment, and tomorrow morning I have to work in the nursery with two and three year olds. As I told Shaynie, I plan to keep my bottle of vanilla scented hand sanitizer with me at all times. This morning Paige and my mom and I were going to go get the Flu shot, until my mom did some research online and discovered that the flu shot often doesn't protect against the flu. So we're not going to do it, and I plan instead on taking preventitive (sp?) measures against the flu. Observe:

Eat healthier. I'm not good at this, but eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more liquid (I read that green tea is good) is one of the first steps to being healthy. It's actually probably the first step. Who knew? :P

Aerobic exercise. It's a bright, beautiful sunny day in the 60's, so soon I'm going to go take advantage of that and go on a nice long walk. And perhaps when I come back, I'll practice with my volleyball in the backyard.

Wash your hands. I already do this a lot, but this is one of the key ways to keep from getting sick. Also, cough and sneeze into the crook of your arm instead of your hand, so germs won't get all over your hands. And secondly, I mean thirdly, wipe down your

faucets and doorknobs with cleaning wipes so they're disinfected.

Drink lots of water and other liquids.

PRAY!

Check out this website for a list of what to do to prevent flu: http://www.ehow.com/how_3451_prevent-flu.html

2. Egypt. I'm sure you've heard what's going on there. Riots, protests, deaths, and the government dissolving? Normally I'm not into politics, but I guess that's when it concerns things like the Stock Market or the politicians or whatever. I find most of that boring. But this thing about Egypt scares me. Did you know that it's like the oldest country still around from the ancient times, from the very beginning? Persia is still here and Iraq is still here, but they've been renamed. Other civilisations like the Sumerians or the Assyrians have been wiped off the face of the earth. Egypt still stands. But with it's government like this, I wonder for how long...I don't mean to be a downer, but this is really serious stuff. Just watching the news makes you like, "Whoaaa..." and wonder about the outcome of the country (haha, sorry about the "whoa", it was the only way I knew how to describe it. And I call myself a writer). I really hope this thing with Egypt just a phase and that it passes.

warning: slight spoilers ahead for Merlin; Nahla, if you haven't finished season three yet, you might not want to read this. :) Molly, you too.

3. I'm gonna move on to a more light-hearted subject: THE SEASON THREE FINALE OF MERLIN. I saw it last night, yes I did. IT WAS GREATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omigosh omigosh omigosh they HAD THE KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE!!!! ARTHUR AND GUINEVERE AND MERLIN AND LANCELOT AND GWAINE ( ♥) AND ELYAN AND PERCIVAL AND LEON!!!!!!!!!!! (+Gaius:) And then the Sword in the Stone!! I have been waiting for both of those things, for the show to actually resemble the ancient legends of Camelot and King Arthur, and last night, even though they took some liberties with it as they always do, it was the most truthful they have ever come to the old legends. It was magical :) I was squealing at the Roundtable and the Excalibur part--just ask Paige :)
l to r: Leon, Percival, Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot, Elyan, and Gwaine



But you know what's just not right? I have to wait until 2012 for season to come out. 2012! How will I survive until then?! As I remarked to Molly, the world can't end in 2012 because we have to see season four of Merlin.

4. I'm taking a Journalism and Economics class starting on Thursday (in addition to my physical science class which is also on Thursday). I'm really excited, cause I haven't been busy enough (isn't that the lament of all you people, that you're too busy? I wish I was) and a Journalism class is right up my alley. :) Plus, Katelyn is in it, which makes it all the better.:) I miss my classes. It's gonna be so nice (and busier:) to have them back.

5. It's a beautiful, sunny day in the 60's, meaning I should save this post for later tonight when it's dark out. We're going to a park in a couple of minutes (I'm gonna bring my volleyball:) so I'll continue this post later!

6. We went to the park and had a lovely time (including taking some pictures of Paige and I kissing Otis, our dog) and there was this big beach volleyball pit with a net, and I forgot my volleyball. Typical Caroline. :)

7. I made these for my characters in Enslaved the other day. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with this book--for those of you who don't know, Enslaved was my first novel, and it's been rewritten three times--but I want to do something. My ideas for it a new version all seem pretty floppy. It irks me, cause the characters are calling to me, but I don't have a plot. :(

Merien; the quote is one of hers


Will
The lyrics are from It's My Life/Confessions by Glee (I don't watch that show, but I like the song.)

Torene

There's a lyric in one of my absolute favorite songs, Viva la Vida by Coldplay, that says, "And I discovered that my castles stand upon pillars of sand". I don't know if I was trying to copy that or not, I don't think it was, but it turned out sounding like that.

Lo and behold, those are my graphic making skills. I get excited when I make things like that, even though they're pretty basic. I have Photoshop on my computer, but I have no clue how to use it. Guess I'm not a graphic designer :)

8. BOOKS. Ha! I just finished my second reading of The King of Attolia today, making that the third book I've finished in 2011...I'm not a very fast reader (the other two were A Conspiracy of Kings and Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters, which I got for Christmas). Now I'm going to start On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (great title, no?:) and also waiting in my pile are Scarlet, Pegasus, and The Queen of Attolia and The Thief, both of which will be rereads. :) OH! I just realized (not for the first time) that I never finished reading the Benedict Society books. Those were really good. I need to go order them from the library. :)

9. Have you noticed that I've been using wayyy too many parentheses? (yes?)

10. A few nights ago I dreamed that The Patriot was actually a trilogy of three films, and I was the director of them *plus* the Percy Jackson movie. And we won Oscars. So, um, yeah. xD

______________________

Have a wonderful night, my adventurous friends!! Maybe we'll all dream that we win Oscars. :)

5 comments:

Mia said...

I just saw the stuff about Egypt, too...it's pretty scary. I wish that it would all go away, but... in this fallen world, it won't. :( Call me weird or crazy, but I believe that Jesus is going to come back soon. I mean, all the things going on in the world seem to be fulfilling prophecy like nobodies business! It's really overwhelming.

Anyway, I love your graphics! The Vida la Vida one is totally my favorite. I got the guitar chords for that song the other day and have constantly played it since! LOVE Coldplay. :)

Mary said...

love this post. all i have to say. you're so awesome, caroline! <3

Anonymous said...

K, expect an equally long comment, it *might* turn out even longer. [it's a mix of answers from your comment on my blog!] :)

-YAY! You like TOM!!! :) I didn't know if anyone ever would. :) Tom's actor's name is Chris O'Donnell. But the best part of the actors I choose is that they're exactly like I imagined my characters AND they're all British!! :) I love British actors and movies! :)

-Yes, I'll sign your copy of Riven!! You're like the 4th person to ask! :) Yeah, I changed the name. I thought Riven was a bit more vivid then Ruined. :) [Oh, and you'll get to read the book after I finish the minor rewriting and final "edits": probably won't take me too long since I'm so pumped!! :) I've already started actually and it's coming along awesomely!]

-OHMYGOODNESS! I *hate* perfect characters [labeled Mary Su & Gary Stu]!! They are the WORST. And then when the Mary Su *insists* she actually *has* faults but you can't even *see* them, ugh. That's even *worse*! :) I like trying to create each character so different that they all have a special way of speaking/acting/ect. [Awel actually surprised me at the end of the book b/c she really proved she is not perfect...at all!]

I actually have 2 other primary characters that I didn't list. I've always been afraid the reader would feel overwhelmed with a bunch of new characters and just stop reading. But Liz [she's read my whole book!!] says my characters were easy to grasp in a short time, so I was relieved!! I'm excited to know what you think of the manuscript! :)

-My characters [of late] have really taken control of the book and started doing things that didn't make sense till I saw the bigger picture they were painting! I actually have such a detailed story plot for my book trilogy that there are scenes in book 1 that will completely make *more* sense in book 3. :)

Cooper is the guy I have to watch the most. He likes controlling the scene and doing something wild— like jumping off cliffs, appearin' outta nowhere, things like that. :)

-Mygoodness, I listen to music for the same reason!! Like nearly every song I've listened to I've tied back to my story or characters!! I'll send you an email with a list of their theme songs. :)

Haha, I bet you'd be a *great* director! :) I'd go and watch your movies in theaters!! :)

Hoping this comment is long enough for ya [:)]!!! I'll email the song list soon!
♥,Ara

Anonymous said...

I think what's happening in Egypt is fascinating. It's history right before our eyes! :D

I hope you don't get the flu. And I hope you carried around your sanitizer! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I was just reading this post again, and my eyes saw VIVA LA VIDA! I LOVE that song! Oh my goodness it is SUCH a good song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had to add that. *cough*

 
This template designed and installed by Olive Tree @ Robin Blogs.