{be prepared for a really, really long post.}
You know you love them too. They make you laugh. They make you cry. They make your jaw drop at the twists in the story. They're feisty and they're unique and most importantly, they're real.
I won't ever, ever get out of how much I love characters. I like to think of them as my family. Now, don't judge--I bet you do the same thing! Whether they're your own characters or those in your favorite book or tv show, you love them like your own brothers and sisters.
I've got a huge taste of that last weekend. I slept over at my buddy Molly's (who is also like a sister to me ♥) and we did PB almost non-stop. These characters are at the moment undoubtedly my favorite group of characters, perhaps because I helped create them. :) They have quirks, they have fights, they have magical powers, and basically every episode something really bad happens, but it's alright. Everything will turn out in the end. :)
Phoenix Burning
Tiegan (Selena Gomez), Aeronwen (Bridget Mendler), Ciaran (bottom left, Joseph Kennedy), Aveari (top right, Skandar Keynes), Hadyn (b+w, Harry Lloyd), Erik (next to Tiegan, Bradley James), King Geraldo (top middle, Anthony Head), and Mr. Smid



BBC Robin Hood
This was my summer show. I actually started watching maybe sometime in February 2010, and saw the season two finale in August or so. After I'd been watching it for a while, I told Molly about it. The rest, as they say, is history. I think part of the reason I love this show so much was that I "was Djaq"--aka, she was my make-believe alias, all summer. And we have so many inside jokes from it, that just makes it more special. :) We've gotten so many of our favorite quotes from this show:
"I'm good with nuns" --Allan
"Don't tell me to shush, we're looking for a tree in a forest!!" --Much
"Earn your keep!" --Guy to Allan
"I can feel a song coming on!" "No! No song! Absolutely no song!" --Much and Robin
"SUSSEX! I have lost SUSSEX!" --The sheriff
"You could've had my eye out!" --Allan to Marian
"SLEEEPPPPPP" --Allan
(notice how many of these come from Allan? He's just that awesome.)
"I'm good with nuns" --Allan
"Don't tell me to shush, we're looking for a tree in a forest!!" --Much
"Earn your keep!" --Guy to Allan
"I can feel a song coming on!" "No! No song! Absolutely no song!" --Much and Robin
"SUSSEX! I have lost SUSSEX!" --The sheriff
"You could've had my eye out!" --Allan to Marian
"SLEEEPPPPPP" --Allan
(notice how many of these come from Allan? He's just that awesome.)
If there's one thing the BBC can do, it's create incredible characters. (they can do a lot more than that, but characters are, as always, my favorite ♥)
However, I'm not including pictures from season three, because season three was atrocious, and it had Tuck and Kate in it, and Tuck is one of the worst characters I have EVER met. He's completely awful *blech*
However, I'm not including pictures from season three, because season three was atrocious, and it had Tuck and Kate in it, and Tuck is one of the worst characters I have EVER met. He's completely awful *blech*
Robin and Much

The gang
This is the best Robin Hood video I've ever seen. It's just beautiful. Even if you don't like/don't watch RH, watch it anyway :)
Larkrise to Candleford
The amazing thing about this show is that you feel like a part of these characters' lives. This is the one show my whole family (mom, dad, sister, grandmother, and me) watch together. If it's Friday night, one of us will say, "Larkrise?" and everybody else is just like, "YES!" I know I've said this countless times before, but I must repeat: these characters are so real. I warn you: if you start watching this show, you'll be hooked for all three seasons (and there's a season 4 coming out! Eep!)

Robert and Emma

Laura and Alf

Larkrise and Candleford (those are the names of the two places in the show--Larkrise is a small hamlet/village out in the countryside, and Candleford is the merchant town eight miles away. The show is about the different characters in each place and their interaction with one another.)

The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
My goodness. This woman is a genius. Her books, set in a Byzantine-Greek world, are so political they'll make your head spin. Yet she creates characters who keep you guessing throughout the entire book. You'll be shocked by the endings of at least two of these books. You think you know what's going on, and then boom, something blows you away and it turns out that the characters had something completely different planned the entire time.
Gen, without a doubt, makes it onto my list of top-ten all time fictional heroes.
Who else is on that list, you ask? Well, since you asked so nicely... (this isn't in particular order)
Eugenides (aka Gen)
Allan a Dale
Ciaran de Reinwick
Merlin (tv show, Merlin)
Sophos (The Queen's Thief)
Percy Jackson (you know where)
Finn (books of Bayern)
Lee Colbert (The Book of Jane)
Sheftu (Mara, Daughter of the Nile)
I'm gonna go have to go with Merry from LoTR, though I do like Troy from HSM. Don't laugh, even though I know you will. :P
Anyways! You distracted me--shame on you. Let's continue, shall we?
There's only a handful of characters in this book--90% of the time it's just Gen, the magus, Pol, Sophos, and Ambiades.
This was my least favorite in the series, but I think I might like it better upon a second read, which I plan to do as soon as I finish rereading The King of Attolia. :) Sadly, Sophos isn't in this one, and he's awesome.
As I mentioned before, I'm reading this for a second time. This is the only one of the books that has Costis in it, which is too bad, cause Costis is great even if he has no sense of humor. I suppose he wouldn't really have a place in the other books, though.

The main character in this book? Sophos. Yes. We've waited since book one for him to return, and he FINALLY has. Sophos is probably my favorite example of how much a single character can grow and change within a story. Half of the book is told in first-person by him, and such a charismatic, completely real voice. It's like he's really talking. And I loved that even with all the changes he went through in this book, and how he could take down a man with one hit, he's still shy, blushing Sophos. :) He's so different by the end, but I still love him.
This book was actually a lot better the second time around. The first time I read it I was disappointed by it, expecting more, but when I read it again a couple weeks ago I loved it a lot more, and it's earning a place among my favorite books. :)
I wish I knew Megan Turner's secret for creating characters the way she does.
Merlin
Of all the characters in this show, my favorite is the title character, Merlin. You may think he's dorky looking, but he could take you down with less than one blow (or so he says.) He's really friendly, kind, and I would love to have him as a brother or friend. Plus, he's hilarious. :)
Arthur is hilarious as well, and he's handsome, but what bothers me is that he's so ignorant about who Merlin really is (Merlin has to keep his magic a secret, or he'll be killed by King Uther, who hates magic). And when Arthur finally grows up and learns something in an episode, in the next episode, he's back to his old snotty prattish self.
But I do admit that I love him. :) He's a pretty good character.
More annoying than Arthur, though, is Gwen. I liked her in the first season, but in the third season, she's gotten so dry. She just has no personality, and I cannot include in my list of favorite characters. There's no spark, no life to her. She's not right for Arthur.
Morgana is pretty awesome--she's completely different in season three, which I think is cool, cause she's more vital to the show now. The plot with her can get old at times, but she has more of a place now.

Arthur, Guin, Morgana, and Merlin

The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
My goodness. This woman is a genius. Her books, set in a Byzantine-Greek world, are so political they'll make your head spin. Yet she creates characters who keep you guessing throughout the entire book. You'll be shocked by the endings of at least two of these books. You think you know what's going on, and then boom, something blows you away and it turns out that the characters had something completely different planned the entire time.
Gen, without a doubt, makes it onto my list of top-ten all time fictional heroes.
Who else is on that list, you ask? Well, since you asked so nicely... (this isn't in particular order)
Eugenides (aka Gen)
Allan a Dale
Ciaran de Reinwick
Merlin (tv show, Merlin)
Sophos (The Queen's Thief)
Percy Jackson (you know where)
Finn (books of Bayern)
Lee Colbert (The Book of Jane)
Sheftu (Mara, Daughter of the Nile)
I'm gonna go have to go with Merry from LoTR, though I do like Troy from HSM. Don't laugh, even though I know you will. :P
Anyways! You distracted me--shame on you. Let's continue, shall we?
There's only a handful of characters in this book--90% of the time it's just Gen, the magus, Pol, Sophos, and Ambiades.
This was my least favorite in the series, but I think I might like it better upon a second read, which I plan to do as soon as I finish rereading The King of Attolia. :) Sadly, Sophos isn't in this one, and he's awesome.
As I mentioned before, I'm reading this for a second time. This is the only one of the books that has Costis in it, which is too bad, cause Costis is great even if he has no sense of humor. I suppose he wouldn't really have a place in the other books, though.
The main character in this book? Sophos. Yes. We've waited since book one for him to return, and he FINALLY has. Sophos is probably my favorite example of how much a single character can grow and change within a story. Half of the book is told in first-person by him, and such a charismatic, completely real voice. It's like he's really talking. And I loved that even with all the changes he went through in this book, and how he could take down a man with one hit, he's still shy, blushing Sophos. :) He's so different by the end, but I still love him.
This book was actually a lot better the second time around. The first time I read it I was disappointed by it, expecting more, but when I read it again a couple weeks ago I loved it a lot more, and it's earning a place among my favorite books. :)
I wish I knew Megan Turner's secret for creating characters the way she does.
Merlin
Of all the characters in this show, my favorite is the title character, Merlin. You may think he's dorky looking, but he could take you down with less than one blow (or so he says.) He's really friendly, kind, and I would love to have him as a brother or friend. Plus, he's hilarious. :)
Arthur is hilarious as well, and he's handsome, but what bothers me is that he's so ignorant about who Merlin really is (Merlin has to keep his magic a secret, or he'll be killed by King Uther, who hates magic). And when Arthur finally grows up and learns something in an episode, in the next episode, he's back to his old snotty prattish self.
But I do admit that I love him. :) He's a pretty good character.
More annoying than Arthur, though, is Gwen. I liked her in the first season, but in the third season, she's gotten so dry. She just has no personality, and I cannot include in my list of favorite characters. There's no spark, no life to her. She's not right for Arthur.
Morgana is pretty awesome--she's completely different in season three, which I think is cool, cause she's more vital to the show now. The plot with her can get old at times, but she has more of a place now.

Arthur, Guin, Morgana, and Merlin
Elyan, Gwaine, Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot, Leon, and I don't know who the other dude is (this is a poster for the season three finale)
Uther, Arthur, Merlin, Gaius, Morgana, and Guin
So really, Merlin is one of my all-time favorite characters, and Arthur's pretty good, but the others can't make the cut. :( (Gwaine is really cool, but he's not a regular, and not quite cool enough)
I did a post on Merlin a while back, which you can read here.
______________________________________________
I think that's enough for now. :) Tell me about some of your favorite characters!
So really, Merlin is one of my all-time favorite characters, and Arthur's pretty good, but the others can't make the cut. :( (Gwaine is really cool, but he's not a regular, and not quite cool enough)
I did a post on Merlin a while back, which you can read here.
______________________________________________
I think that's enough for now. :) Tell me about some of your favorite characters!




5 comments:
Awesome post, Caroline!
I read the whole thing like 2 days ago or so, but I finally got time to comment NOW!! Ohman-ohman-ohman-OHMAN!! Characters are practically all I'll read a book or watch a movie for!! I mean, what's a movie more than it's characters, what's a book more than it's people?! The characters are the SOUL of the movie/book. Can't like them, then the book/movie was just a waste of time! :)
I just posted about Riven's characters' bios earlier today!!! It was SO cool! :) This may sound EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY vain but my favorite characters of all time, are my Crew: Awel, Sean, Cooper, Sapphire, Allyn, Fritz, Tom, Ioan (even though I didn't post on him *tear*). They've been through EVERYTHING with me. They saw me cry when others didn't. They watched my back when others wouldn't. I know sometimes it sounds like escapism with me, but it isn't. This characters have helped me understand myself and my life better. I've finally wrapped my mind around the concept of forgiveness because of them!!
K, 'nough ramblin' from little ol' me!! Love ya, Caroline, adventurous dreams (instead of sweet dreams!)
♥,Ara
Oh, wow! A character extravaganza! Yippee!
I love characters too. My writing is mostly about characters. It never feels as though I'd invented them; rather, they stroll into my mental landscape one fine day and any amount of interesting developments may ensue. XD
As for literary characters... should I even get started? Highlights, Edith, highlights. Well, a good start would be
Sam Gamgee. The Lord of the Rings trilogy wouldn't be great without him.
Jo March from Little Women. This is one of my all-time favorite books, and Jo reminds me of myself (as countless girls have said before).
Moley from the Wind in the Willows. Also the Water Rat... how could you not love them?
Peter, Lucy, and Edmund from The Chronicles of Narnia. Perhaps especially Lucy and Edmund. And Eustace (later on)... and Trilian... and... and... (I haven't seen the movies, so I refer to the editions of these characters to be found in my imagination. ;)
Nathaniel Bumppo (aka The Deerslayer or Hawkeye) from The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper. This is a good book for deep characters, by the way.
Sidney Carton at the end of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I wept heartfelt tears.
Fanny Price from Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. To her critics I respond: she is NOT a mouse; she has the essence of courage, which is doing the right thing even when you're afraid to.
I could go on... but here you have a taste... ; )
Edith
Observatory of the Quotidian
P.S. You've really got me intrigued about these BBC dramas. Where should I start to get a taste of "Robin Hood?"
Oh Merlin! Looks interesting!!! :D :D
My favorite character EVER from ANYTHING is Chewbacca. He is my celebrity crush. <3 Whenever I see a picture of him, I refer to him as the love of my life. ;)
Oh, I love the photos!!! Aeronwen is my favorite of them all - but they all seem to fit so well!! =D
Post a Comment