The truth of the sad matter-- (wait, strike that--reverse it), --being private isn't much fun. Your posts don't show up in people's dashboards and I'm still following and commenting on blogs whose authors didn't read mine, so that feels a little strange. And lastly, it's much more difficult to participate in contests when private. :(
Now, for your viewing pleasure, I am going to make a list of the pros and cons of public and private blogging.
Private
Pros:
-Only people you invite can read your blog-You can talk about things like age more (though I don't...)
-You feel safer
-You don't have to worry about weird people commenting and reading your blog
Cons:
-You get 2 to 3 comments a post (This isn't your fault guys, and I'm not pleading for more comments!! It's just that I have like 70 less people reading my blog now.)
-You get less visitors
-Readers don't know when you post since your dashboard doesn't tell them
-You can't participate in photo challenges/contests as easily
Public
Pros:
-You follow someone, and they can follow you back
-You can be a part of blog parties, contests, and challenges
-You get many more comments and followers
-People can see your blog and know for themselves you're not some creepy stalker person :D
Cons:
-Anyone can read your blog
-The security level is lower
-You can get people you don't want following you
-You don't always feel safe with a public blog
-Someone could simply bookmark my page instead of following me, and I'll never know that they're reading my blog.
Anything to add?
___________________________________________
So there you have it. Which sounds better to you? Public is more exciting, I just wish it was safer.
Actually, I have something to add! Pick me! Thank you. :P I have 31 lovely, incredible people reading my blog. But they are 70 other people who don't know what has happened to me. I disappeared without a trace, and suddenly my blog is private, and maybe somebody's wondering, "Where the heck is Caroline?" And when I make my blog public again, I'm going to feel really, really bad. I don't know how I'm going to apologize to everyone else. Ten people have already stopped following me (you don't know how disappointing that feels--but can I blame them?) I feel like I've let people down. If anyone actually cares about what I write here. Maybe, maybe not. There's going to be a lot of explaining to do when I go public again.
Can I vent for a moment? Again, thank you. This is what I have to say: I HATE BEING PRIVATE!!! K, thanks, glad I got that out of my system. :) It's awful. Granted, no weird creeper person is able to find me, but...I disappeared from the world of blogging with absolutely no explanation except to those of you reading my blog now. Maybe it's hard to understand, but I feel really bad about this whole thing, and I'm sick of it.
But I need to stop. I hate it when people complain like that, and look, I just did it! So I won't keep you here any longer.
Actually, I have something to add! Pick me! Thank you. :P I have 31 lovely, incredible people reading my blog. But they are 70 other people who don't know what has happened to me. I disappeared without a trace, and suddenly my blog is private, and maybe somebody's wondering, "Where the heck is Caroline?" And when I make my blog public again, I'm going to feel really, really bad. I don't know how I'm going to apologize to everyone else. Ten people have already stopped following me (you don't know how disappointing that feels--but can I blame them?) I feel like I've let people down. If anyone actually cares about what I write here. Maybe, maybe not. There's going to be a lot of explaining to do when I go public again.
Can I vent for a moment? Again, thank you. This is what I have to say: I HATE BEING PRIVATE!!! K, thanks, glad I got that out of my system. :) It's awful. Granted, no weird creeper person is able to find me, but...I disappeared from the world of blogging with absolutely no explanation except to those of you reading my blog now. Maybe it's hard to understand, but I feel really bad about this whole thing, and I'm sick of it.
But I need to stop. I hate it when people complain like that, and look, I just did it! So I won't keep you here any longer.
How about a photo to leave you with?

I just love that photo...perhaps it's the angle, or the black background. :)
Farewell, good night, sleep tight! And really, don't let the bedbugs bite--those things are NASTY, I hear tell.
Farewell, good night, sleep tight! And really, don't let the bedbugs bite--those things are NASTY, I hear tell.
5 comments:
Yeah, I can see how being private would be such a bummer. But also there's a nice option in Blogger that if someone follows you and you really don't want them to you can block them so that they can't do anything on your blog. I suppose that would even include comment, IDK.
*stops suddenly* I'm not sure I ever did follow. Bother. *goes and follows* apparently I didn't follow before because Google just let me. :) So now you got a new follower despite your blog being private.
Well, it doesn't bother me, so I think you could still participate in all the blog parties/hops/giveaways. I don't think it would bother anyone else either, because if posting about it was important, you could always email them the content of your post. :)
Hope you have a great day!!
-Ara
p.s. about your comment, if we're just talking between you and me here, then I still imagine there's goblins under the couches. And if I walk to slow by the couches at night, they'll grab me by the ankles and pull me down into their underworld. :) And yes, they do have their ways of getting past the concrete slab most houses are built on. :)
Yeah, it's a hard thing, I think. I have a guy following my blog who I know nothing about - not very reassuring. =L But it is nice to have visibility.
Well, let me assure you that I love reading your blog and always look forward to your next post! ;) You've got a faithful reader here. =D
That's why my parents didn't want me to have a "normal" blog; where I posted a bunch of pics of myself, house, family, etc. That's also why I don't share where I live or my last name.
But...I think it's safer private!
Sorry I am one of those ones not commented. *cringe* I usually go through my Google Reader and look at who has posted, and when yours don't show up I had to go find your blog, and I lost the URL, so I had to go find your button, and then...you get the idea. ;)
I PROMISE I will comment more! I will check your blog every day! :D
xoxo
I think those 70 people will understand. Sorry to read that you lost 10 followers. I know when my followers goes down 1 I get disappointed. Like you said, it's nice to feel that safety, but it isn't as much fun. I don't have a private blog but I know what you mean. :) Beautiful photo!
Yeah, I was thinking about making my blog private, but...I decided it wasn't really a good idea.
You have one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE blogs in the entire blogosphere, Caroline! I love your posts!
Oooh, gorgeous picture, by the way!
Post a Comment