Sunday, July 25, 2010

This is my mission.

I just dug an important piece of paper out of the trunk in the corner of my bedroom. And I couldn't resist sharing it.

I wrote these few sentences, this one paragraph, for my writing class back in March. It was just the class assignment; and if my teacher hadn't given us that assignment, I might never have written this.

My mission statement. Copyright to Caroline K., March 2010.


To love selflessly, live like Jesus lived, face each new morning with a positive attitude, and be a messenger of Christ. To be exemplary and brave in my faith, loyal to my friends, and honest in my words. I want to keep my heart and mind pure for God and for my future husband. I want to strive to love my family, write with passion, and follow God wherever and whomever he leads me to.

As I copied this out from the piece of paper sitting next to me on my bed, I realized how much I have failed and fallen short of every single aspect of this statement. I have been selfish. I haven't lived like Jesus. I wake up grumpy with a bad attitude. I don't talk about my faith in public. I go with the flow. I've favored some friends over others and haven't been a good example of the word "friend." I haven't always been honest. Yes, physically I am pure, but what about when I point out and sigh over every cute guy that crosses my tv screen? I've shoved my family to the back of my mind and down on my list of priorities. Most days I put off writing, telling myself, "I'm not inspired today. I'll do it tomorrow." (can you tell that I procrastinate?)

Yes. I wrote down these words but did I mean them? I shoved the paper with the statement on it to the bottom of my trunk and basically forgot about it. "Assignment over; I can go back to real life now."

Dear Lord, make me realize the value of these words. Make me realize they aren't something I typed for a class assignment but are the vision for my life. Give me the boost I need to stop sitting and waiting and help me to get up and start doing. Make me honest, make me real, make me vivid. Let me live to the fullest, not fretting over tomorrow. Don't focus my eyes only on the moment I'm in now but on the future and the choices I make. Show me the true meaning of purity, in body and soul. Help me to love others when I want to turn my shoulder and wake away. Show me what it means for me to be loyal. Make me your messenger, proclaiming your holy Name. Make people wonder about what I have that they don't. Take my fears, my hopes, my dreams--and let me be, before all things, my King, Your servant.

Amen.

10 comments:

Apprentice Seamstress said...

Its so easy to bite off more than you can chew aswell. I have had a hard time keeping to my prayer routine. Right now im still on the rocky edge to falling of the routine, but im slowly coming back to safety!

Melody said...

Wow. This is a really good post. I hear you - that is the prayer of my heart as well.

Keep persevering! God has great plans for you. :D

Blessings,
~Melody

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome post, Caroline. That's what I want--to wake up and spend my day doing worthwhile stuff...not frittering away time on the computer. ;)

Caroline said...

Thanks!

Milisande--yeah, that's true, too:). You sound like you're doing really well with your prayer routine! I have to get back on that.

Sierra--most definitely! It's nice to know I'm not the only one:).

Melody--aw, thanks:D. I know he has amazing plans in store for you, too.

Shaynie--exactly!!! I couldn't agree more. Oh wait...what am I doing now? Sitting on the computer. LOL.:~)

Chloe M. Kookogey said...

Amazing, Caroline! The second mission statement was so true - I can tell it came from your heart. :)

In Christ,
Lizzy Rose

Apprentice Seamstress said...

Reply to your comment on Nothing of Importance~

Caroline~
Thanks! I am glad you are a twilight hater. I have seen to many people take Twilight serious, imagine how much Meyer has influenced the youth! Also to point out that it is definitely not helping our young men! Not only do that have to face feminists. But also young women who want them to be like Edward (Who Meyer has tried to make completely perfect)ITS not fair!

Lol! I might have to read and watch this Percy Jackson Series... After i finish Paolini?....

I like when you ramble Caroline! I do it all the time!

In Christ
Milisande

p.s
Sorry a little bit of continuation Twilight Ramble!

Mia said...

You will not believe how much this post applies to my life right now. I have been in a slump; listless. Thanks so much for being a blessing.
~Margaret

Apprentice Seamstress said...

Reply to your comment on Nothing of Importance~

Caroline~

Im interested to hear what you dont like about Eragon. Is it just not interesting to you? Or is it some of the sorcery things? (lol i havent finished the series yet!)

Oh my gosh! my sister tottally pointed that out! I was like What the heck!? They at least could have done a good job on costumes! Ick~!

Mabye you are Italiano!hah!

I might.. After i finish up with a couple books i have waiting patiently!

I know! And seriously, do you expect a young man to have so much control that he can WATCH you sleep every night, and not do anything. Its serious torture! So great.. Now women are endargering themselves and the boys they have naively led into this.
I actually never really liked Edward to begin with. Im more of a "Human" fan (like the mike dude in the book who has this little crush on bella)
Oh no the book is complete crap for writing skills. Like a 10 year old girl who is just learning how to write short stories bad. I found so many spelling mistakes, and Dialogue mistakes, Punctuation. "If your going to write a book, at leat write it well. Cause then i wouldnt have to critique the spelling mistakes too!"

Totally agree with you!
Thanks for Commenting (again! pahaha)

In Christ

Anonymous said...

I really like this post. It's very inspiring :D Keep up the good work and God bless!

Katelyn McKay said...

Wow, Caroline. I'm remembering the Mission statement I made for that class, and you're right, I forgot about it too. I've really been struggling with what words I've been saying lately, and those are not those of Jesus's, and that is for certain. You've really inspired me with that. I'll re-print mine, and make sure I remember to exemplify it in every aspect of my life. You're such a great writer, and such a great friend!
Thank you so much!

Blessings,
~K~M~S~

 
This template designed and installed by Olive Tree @ Robin Blogs.